Research Scientist Analytical Gas Chromatography - Brussels
Exxon Mobil Corporation is the largest publicly traded international oil and gas company and one of the largest chemical companies in the world. In the Benelux, ExxonMobil is best known for its Esso and Mobil brands. Active in almost every country around the world, ExxonMobil prides itself on its commitment to meeting the world’s growing demand for energy in an economically, environmentally and socially responsible manner.
The company strives towards operational excellence with an expert talented workforce, strong financial resources and cutting edge technology. Our customers are both global and local, ranging from major chemical companies to the thousands of customers a day who visit our Esso service stations in the Benelux. Our people are driven, result-oriented and focused on getting the best out of their teams. They thrive in our company culture: open, with an international mindset and down to earth. Our hands-on approach, job rotation system and regular training enable our people to learn and develop their talents continuously. The acquired skills and knowledge will help them to become our future generation of managers or technical specialists.
As of February 2017 ExxonMobil Chemical Europe Inc. has an opening for a Research Scientist position in the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry laboratory located near Brussels in Belgium. The successful candidate for this position will become part of the Advanced Characterization Department (ACD) within the company's core research organization. ACD is a global team with state of the art characterization capabilities around the world. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain high safety and quality standards through application of analytical skills, knowledge of products, and fluency in gas chromatography techniques. He or she will also be expected foster team collaboration with analytical associates in other characterization techniques.
Primary Job Functions:
- Provide guidance and oversight on the day-to-day operation of the Gas Chromatography laboratory
- Interact with ExxonMobil Research and Business to provide comprehensive characterization solutions
- Develop/assess/validate new methodologies based on various techniques for characterization of new products and for problem solving
- Provide work direction, training and mentoring to research technicians
- Collaborate with academia and professional societies to maintain technical leadership
- Invent, patent, present, and publish when appropriate
- Ph.D. degree in analytical chemistry with a strong background in Gas Chromatography Analysis
- Demonstrated ability to conduct creative research
- In-depth knowledge of analytical gas chromatography techniques and data interpretation
- Excellent communication in English (oral and written)
- Team work, Communication skills, time management, attention to details, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines and strong safety awareness are key personal values
- Strong theoretical and experimental expertise in gas chromatography, including hyphenated techniques such as Gas Chromatography – Mass Spectrometry, Two dimensional GC, Volatile Organic Compound analysis and GC-olfactometry
- Expertise in organic chemistry, especially on petrochemical products
Apply online on www.exxonmobil.be/careers